By Jessica Middleton
As students gear up for Walled Lake Central’s annual Homecoming Spirit week, Student Council is eagerly performing their final preparations. The 2019-2020 Homecoming theme is The Seasons: Freshman are Spring, Sophomores are Fall, Juniors are Winter, and Seniors are Summer.
This year, according to Ashley Kasgorgis, Executive Board President, Homecoming Week is about making the school more inclusive. “We’re really working to promote unity and include everyone in what we’re doing. We’ve been posting on Twitter, writing announcements – anything we can do to get more people involved,” she said. Additionally, members of the E-Board are committed to broadening how spirit week is conducted yet still maintaining traditions.
Hallway Decorating (Sunday September 22, 2019 from 10am – 3pm): Every year, students are tasked with decorating Walled Lake Central’s lower level hallways. Freshmen will decorate E/F/G hall, Sophomores will decorate B pod, Juniors will decorate D pod, and Seniors will decorate C Pod. Students will make/hang posters, various lighting, or anything else they can dream up! Everyone is welcome! This is a large task, but be prepared for a fun day full of socializing, planning, and excitement!
Wall Hanging (September 25, 2019 directly after school until 7:30pm): Every year, each grade paints an immense mural/poster pertaining to the year’s Homecoming Theme. At the end of the hanging, the posters will be judged and a winner will be declared. All are welcome and no art experience is required! Supplies will be provided; however, feel free to bring more! Each poster must include the following elements: A representation of all four grade level’s themes, “trash” Cranbrook’s football team, include football/football concepts, and it cannot have any bare space. You are welcome for as much time or as little time as you’d like to commit. Come support your class!
Spirit Week Schedule:
Sept. 23 – Dress One Color Day
- Pick any color and deck out! Whether you decide to have a grout-fit day, a personalized pink out, or something else – this is your day to represent your favorite color!
Sept. 24 – PJ / Sleepover Day
- Enjoy the classic pajama day and wear your favorite pjs! From your favorite onesie to your mismatched t-shirt and shorts, show off your favorite nighttime attire and maybe your favorite morning beverage, too.
Sept. 25 – Dress Your Season Day
- Each grade level has been assigned a season, and this is your day to showcase your seasonal pride! Freshmen are Spring, Sophomores are Fall, Juniors are Winter, and Seniors are Summer. Now is your chance to deck out in floral patterns, leis, sweaters – anything that represents your season!
Sept. 26 – Class T-Shirt Day
- If you haven’t already purchased your class t-shirt, they are available during all 3 lunches for $10. Today is the day to show why your grade level is the best of them all! We will be having a modified SRT 3 schedule, with a Field Day Assembly during the SRT 3 space. During the Assembly, there will be black lights, so be sure to incorporate as much neon as possible! From elements of the games to the tug-of-war rope, everything will be neon! There will be many classic events, such as Class Dance, as well as many new ones!
Sept. 27 – Unity Day
- Be sure to deck out in Maize and Blue for this year’s Unity Day! The Pep Assembly will also take place during the SRT 3 space of a modified SRT schedule. As with previous years, there will be a procession of the sports teams and snippets of the marching band’s show! Then, as always, there will also be a unique variety of unity-based events.
Homecoming Dance (September 28, 2019 from 7pm-10pm): This year’s Homecoming theme is The Seasons. Tickets are still available for purchase during all 3 lunches for $20. As with previous years, the dance will take place in Walled Lake Central’s Main Gymnasium. This event is a must attend! There will be a large buffet of food, a DJ, and tons and tons of fun!!!!!! Come hang out with friends and get ready to have the time of your life!